Sunday 16 March 2014

Owl Baby Quilt


Last Friday I started this little baby quilt with owls as the theme.


It is the same owl design I did for my owl cushions.
Remember these?




 I simply put them on a tree with a few leaves and left lots of space for quilting.  I kept the borders simple so as not to detract from the owls. It took me a whole day of sewing ( at least 8 hours) to do all the cutting and machine applique.
Its ready for quilting now and I decided to take my big Janome off the frame and do this one on the table top. I thought my lack of working area on the frame would hinder my feathers in the center.

I used a thick 6 oz polyester wadding/batting.  It is about an inch thick but flattens out once quilted and it makes the feather plumes nice and puffy.
Bit close with the camera here but you can see how thick the wadding is.
Freehand feathers


Simple stippling in the background makes the leaves and feathers 'pop'.





I wasn't sure how to quilt the tree but I think I've managed to give it a bark like texture.


                               
                                                                    Quilting complete.


I rounded off the corners and finished with green binding.
Now, whats next?
Thanks for visiting my blog today.
Rhianon.

18 comments:

NonnaD said...

This is so adorable! Love the quilting!

Michele said...

Love, love, love it.

Prisca2010 said...

Lucky Baby, the one that will get this quilt!

Unknown said...

Love this, the tree bark is perfect. and I have always loved your owl faces!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a fantastic quilt. Your quilting is amazing :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Gorgeous!! The owls are adorable and your quilting gorgeous!

Carli The Quilter said...

Beautiful quilting and just drooling for a while!

liniecat said...

Absolutely stunning! fabulous quilting : )

Unknown said...

As always, your work is stunning! Love the quilting!

Jackie said...

What an adorable quilt, is it your own design or is there somewhere others can purchase it? Your quilting is fantastic.

cindy said...

A friend of mine sent me a link to this quilt on my Facebook page. I am so glad he did! It is stunning! You have a new fan. Cindy in State College, PA.

Lori S said...

I love everything about this quilt! Perfect!

Corina said...

Great job! It's a lovely quilt!

Martha said...

Your quilt design and quilting are fabulous!! Super lovely little quilt, what a joy!!

dq said...

Your machine quilting is so beautiful! I enjoy coming back to your blog again and again to see what you are up to.

Nini And The Sea said...

Your quilting is beautiful and the owls are adorable!!!!

PeggyinNO said...

Thanks for the great "eye candy"! So much detail in this quilt. I will have to look at it a few more times to take it all in. Your work is impeccable! I love visiting your site! Such inspiration!

Grit said...

Wow your quilting is so fantastic.
Grit from Germany

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...