Monday 6 May 2013

Sapphire Stars Quilt- part 1


I started this quilt because I wanted to use up my batik scraps and I love this star block.  It's easy sewing and doesn't require much brain power!


This is the Wonky star block.  Mine measure 12.5".


I made 12 blocks - I dyed the center blue fabric myself, in the microwave.


I set them on point  and made some simple 9 patch blocks to go with them.


 Apologies for the 4 poor quality photos above but it shows you how I worked the layout.


 After adding corner and side triangles - it needed some borders.


I liked the idea of flying geese units, so why not? They are great for using up scraps.
I decided i wanted to make little wonky star cornerstone blocks, plus this used up the huge amount of half square triangles from the flying geese.

What a bonus - I just stitched an extra seam when making the geese units and I have lots of these. They square up to 2" and are so cute. I used them in the corners of the little block below.


This little block finishes at 5", so i had to trim !/4" to make it fit my quilt.




                                     Here is the finished top, all ready to be quilted.

                                             
                                                               Close up of the corner.



It ended up being a little bigger than I intended  - its taking up nearly all of my living room floor space.

Couldn't resist playing around with the bonus HSTs.

I think these will make a cute baby quilt......

If you'd like to make a wonky star block, I have done a tutorial. Click here.
Hope you enjoy it.
Next time I hope to have some quilting to show you. See you then.
Rhianon.


3 comments:

Belinda said...

That's really beautiful!!

Unknown said...

This is a lovely quilt, and I love that you made the extra seam and have all those HST extra! I am definitely going to do that, what a great way to have quilt pieces made so easily. Love seeing your blog posts!

What Comes Next? said...

a beautiful quilt, and a great way to use up scraps

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...