Friday 26 August 2011

Colourful Cushion

Hi there

This week I finished this cushion, which is a commission for a friend.  The brief was ' bright colours ' and I think this fits the bill.

The block in the center is a design by Jennie Rayment.  It's a great block to make and uses the same principal as Cathedrial Windows.  Click on photo for close up.


I machine quilted it and hand embroidered the name for that personal touch.

I really hope the birthday girl likes it.

Also this week my iron broke - a disaster for any quilter. It happened in the week my girls went back to school and my youngest daughter had a birthday, so there was not much spare cash going.
So I bought the cheapest iron I could find.  £3.99 from Argos!!
What a fantastic buy !!!  It is so light to handle and does the job perfectly.

Little new iron on the left, big broken one on the right.

I will get a bigger, better one eventually but I think I will continue to use this one for pressing my seams.

I've also been busy putting together a baby/toddler quilt and hope to get it quilted this weekend.  Pictures in the next post.

Finally, I've entered my Bird of Paradise into the Quilting bloggers competition this week.   Yes i know its the second week in a row, but it will be the last this year.  It just so happened that it fitted into the theme of this weeks comp.  I am not allowed to win any prizes because I came 3rd last week, so it's just a bit of fun.
  If you would like to vote for my birdy then here is the link
http://quiltinggallery.com/2011/08/26/embroidery-stitchery-quilts/

Again , there are some beautiful quilts to vote for - there are so many talented, creative people out there.
Of course I would appreciate your vote.
Have a great weekend, whatever you are up to and to all my American friends - stay safe and out of the way of hurricane Irene.
Til next time
happy sewing
Rhianon.

6 comments:

Linda Coleman said...

The olours in the cushion are brilliant. If it was for me I would certainly love it. Linda

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Thanks Linda :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your pillow is really beautiful! I have a book with lots of flower patterns using that curved method and I really like it......I should get it out again. Your friend will love this!

Manoli García said...

your blog is very cute and your works are wonderful
Manoli from Spain

Ivory Spring said...

Beautiful pillow, beautiful colors... Rhianon! The hand embroidered name made me swoon.

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Thank you Wendy, so nice of you to say so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...