Thursday 23 June 2011

Appliqued Bird of Paradise

Hello

Today I thought I'd show you my newest project.  It was something I hadn't planned to do but sometimes a project just screams out at you and this was one.
It started with a tattoo design by my sister.  She pinched the feathers from me after she saw me quilting some, so I in turn pinched her design.  I thought it would be perfect for an applique.

This is the original drawing.
I scaled it up to the size I wanted and away I went.  I had decided to try my hand at needle turn applique.  that was ok on the small flower sample I started but when it came to doing the feathers, I could not get the accuracy I wanted.   So I switched to raw edge applique.
It is a lovely project for sitting in front of the tv watching Wimbledon.
It didn't take very long to get all the main parts stitched down and now I am working on the top stitching, using dmc stranded cottons.
I plan to do a colourful boder with more appliqued leaves and perhaps a flower.
Please come back to check my progress over the next few weeks.
If any of you like tattoos - go check out my sisters Facebook page - here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Inkantation-Tattoos/160083404008307

Think I might be stopping by there myself to see what else I can 'borrow'.

Have a great weekend everyone - hope it includes lots of sewing!!!
Rhianon.

2 comments:

happydaysquilting said...

Oh that's lovely, great colours and I love the design!

Ivory Spring said...

Great to hear from you, Rhianon! Beautiful applique!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...